Thursday, July 22, 2010

iPad is overrated.

Ironically this post will not be about iPad or any technology related merchandise. Instead I'll be writing about everything which iLove before iSleep, because iDon't think iPod or iPad are areas of my expertise, and if I was to talk about iPod&Pad... Apple will bound to suffer of bankruptcy. Therefore presenting "The little things iLove before iSleep"...

What do iLove? I love Art. & I also love Architecture. Why have I developed a love for Architecture? or more precisely, Why Architecture?
I was asked that exact same question yesterday by a fellow Visual Communication and Design friend, She complimented on my incredible artistic ability to draw so amazingly but is still frustrated and confused of why have I chosen Architecture over Art.

To be honest, I am not entirely sure myself.

I'd be lying if I said it wasn't for the money, and financial stability.. But there is far more beyond the horizon than just the surface... The sky is the limit.
Sherry Ng has been drawing since the age of 6, I used to draw on walls, floor, table, legs, hands, everywhere imaginable. I have always been recognised for being able to draw and paint, and to convey my ideas creatively in art lessons, art competitions, helping out desigining school murals, etc etc. It is a part of me, and it will never leave me.

But what is Art? Art has a total of 16 definitions from aesthetic principles to science and scholarship. The art which I personally am familiar with is to convey ideas visually, to constantly explore and experiment, to challenge the mind and stretch one's capability of achieving their desired results. Art is the quality, production, expression, or realm according to aesthetic principles of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance.

& What is Architecture? With a total of 7 definitions.
"The structure of anything. The character and style of a building. It is the profesion of desigining buildings, open areas, communities, and other artificial constructions and environments, usually with some regard to aesthetic effect. Architecture often includes design and selection of furnishings and decorations, supervision of construction work and the examination, restoration, or remodelling of existing buildings.
Learning about Architecture is like crawling like a baby again... Beginning life's journey from the starting point of a board game. It is completely foreign but utterly satisfying as I've realised to unite both Art and Architecture, I have stepped up to a complete new level of Artistry. The Art of Architectural Structure... Taking into consideration of the natural light and acoustic atmosphere in developing the structure of the Architecure, creating Art not only on paper but on land.. The word creativity originates from the word Creation. Thou shall bring praise to the Creator (:
Therefore to answer my previous question... Why Architecture?
Apart from the obvious "I really like it" response, choosing Architecture does not neccessarily mean I have abandoned Art. I choose both, because I am capable of doing both. And I enjoy both Art and Architecture.

Eiffel, Gustave (1832, 1923)

Michelangelo Buonarroti (sketches of column and faces)

Frank Gehry 1929

Leonardo da Vinci (Study of heads)

Santiago Calatrava (human structure)

No comments: